Sunday 25 January 2015

I Made a Travel Cello (Prototype).

Part of design is rapid prototyping. It's a big part! The more you prototype, the more aware you become of the issues you might face in creating a final product. Such issues could be anything from usability to material strength to-- whatever, you get it.

I combined forces with a friend of mine who makes violins. I brainstormed with him the technicalities of creating a travel cello and was very pleasantly surprised by his willingness to step outside of the norm. Traditionalism is something endemic to string luthiery.

We made a functioning prototype- that sounds awful, of course- but it proved what aspects of our design were usable and what things might need more attention. The system works!

It's something I'm going to keep working on. I'd like to get a functioning, to scale prototype finished. It will take some time... Hopefully if universities let me in I can look forward to the making of even more stuff!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEaJy8oT2IY

No comments:

Post a Comment